1.24.2009

decisions.

I've made a random and humorous observation about people in general.

Whenever required to make a quick decision, they recite a speech. One that I believe has been rehearsed since birth....molded into our brain before we were even born.

I discovered this after observing my husband. Every time we are in a restaurant or drive-thru, he recites from the same script when ordering. Word by word. It's almost disturbing.

Waitress: Hi. Welcome to (enter establishment name here). Can I take your order?

Jeremy: Umm......let me see here. Uh.....ch....ch....ch....ch....chh. I'll have theeeee.....uhhhh.......hmmm. The number 10.


Funny thing is he almost ALWAYS orders the number 10. But still.....same script every time. And don't think I'm just picking on my wonderful husband. I've observed this in probably 99.9% of people at some point or another. It cracks me up.

What's with the sound? Ch...ch....ch....ch.....chhhh.

How does that help? Are we summoning our cerebral juices? Does that universally buy us time to pause and think about our answer? If so, I plan on using that technique often!

For instance, my pastor calls on me to testify. "Uh...let me see here......ch....ch....ch...ch....chhhh."
My college professor chooses me to answer the question that no one else will volunteer to. "Hmmm.......ch....ch....ch...ch....chhhh." My best friend asks for my opinion on her new dress. "Oh....uh....well......ch....ch....ch...ch....chhhh."

It has gotten to the point where I almost laugh every time I hear someone do it. I even catch myself subconciously participating. How embarrassing.

I think I'll create a new fad. A new era of decision making. Let's turn life into a musical. Everytime someone asks us question, we must answer in a song. Sounds better than ch....ch....ch...ch....chhhh.

Friend: Hey Amber! What'cha got there?

Me: (sings) I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts. Deedilly deeeeeeee.

1 comment:

The Equipped Life said...

Oh - you've RUINED it for me!!! I will NEVER be able to order at Sonic again... I'll always be thinking about my ch..ch...chh... Only mine is more of a tsa...tsa...tsa